Who are We?
It is with pride, dedication and professionalism that members of Orange County Fire Rescue Department (OCFRD) serve citizens of Orange County. The Recruitment Office is committed to fostering an inclusive recruitment program for motivated individuals who are physically fit and possess good moral character.
Along with the opportunity to make a difference within the community, a career in Fire Rescue offers stability and growth potential. Applications are only accepted during an official job posting from Orange County Human Resources.
Once a job posting is made available, all applicants must complete the on-line application. If selected for our hiring process, you will be required to download the Firefighter Application. Applications are only accepted during an official job posting from Orange County Human Resources
Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT)
The CPAT is the initial physical ability test for potential fire rescue candidates. This is a timed test based off of eight components. This test is offered on a monthly basis for those interested in becoming an Orange County Fire firefighter, paramedic, firefighter recruit. Prospective candidates are encouraged to reach out to recruitment for additional information on the CPAT.
- Emergency Dispatcher – This person receives emergency calls, determines the appropriate response of emergency resources, dispatches resources, and provides updated information to the responding resources.
- Fire Inspector I - This is a technical position requiring considerable initiative and sound judgment in the enforcement and compliance of state and county fire codes and standards.
- Fire Appartus Technician – This person performs preventive, predictive, and emergency maintenance and repair of\ OCFRD apparatus. This includes performing skilled maintenance and repair of fire emergency vehicles, hydraulic systems, fire pumps, fire equipment, diesel and small engines.
Postions are also available in Fiscal and Operational Support, Emergency Management, Infrastucure Support and Planning/Technical Services.
Become a Reserve Firefighter
Join the Orange County Fire Rescue Department Reserves to help reduce property loss caused by fire, hazardous situations, injuries, deaths, and other emergencies. This is a non-paid volunteer program designed for both certified firefighting personnel and civilian personnel. The Reserves provide participating citizens with a variety of duties that range from admistrative to actual firefighting. Get started by completing and submitting the Reserve Firefighter Application.
Become an Explorer Cadet
Become an Orange County Fire Rescue Explorer Cadet! Join the Explorer Cadet program and be part of real-life fire and rescue. This program allows young people to learn about the many aspects involved in the fire-rescue service. Members participate in training classes, community events, department drills, trips, competitions, and ride-alongs with Fire Rescue crews.
As an Explorer Cadet you learn from working professionals. To join the Explorer Cadets you must be:
- 14-18 years old (once a member, Cadets can stay until the age of 21)
- Currently enrolled in High School
- A non-smoker
- Responsible with good moral character
- In good health to pass a medical exam
Get started today by emailing OCFRDExplorers@ocfl.net for details on our next orientation class held throughout the year.
Diplomas & Degrees
If your education was obtained in the United States, the County recognizes degrees or diplomas which are accredited by an agency recognized by the United States Department of Education (USDE) or the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA). If you have obtained education from a country other than the United States, your degree or diploma must be evaluated to determine the United States equivalency by a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Service (NACES) or the Association of International Credentials Evaluations (AICE) at your expense.