The pedestrian safety component of the INVEST program will address selected intersections and corridor improvements that may include:
- Pedestrian crosswalks at uncontrolled locations and new mid-block crossings.
- Rapid flashing beacons and Speed Feedback Signs.
- Crosswalk Upgrades to special emphasis standards.
- Intersection improvements to reduce pedestrian crossing time.
- Pedestrian lighting at intersections and crosswalks with high pedestrian volume.
- Audible Pedestrian Signals.
- Small sidewalk connections.
- Traffic signal upgrades to include pedestrian signals on all approaches, overhead Turning Vehicles Yield to Pedestrian signs, and backplates with reflective borders.
Improvements will be in compliance with Americans with Disabilities Act infrastructure guidelines.
Three areas currently being studied for pedestrian safety improvements, include:
- University Blvd./Alafaya Trail
- Oakridge Rd. and Pine Hills Rd.